I hope everyone has a great New Year's Eve, New Year's and just a great year in general.
New Year's has often been a bummer holiday for me -- far more so than being single on Valentine's -- but the last several years have been great. Why? Cold weather camping of course!
(okay, so I live in Southern California, so my idea of cold weather camping is no doubt very different than most of yours)
This year we had to skip the trip because of my foot and the foot issues of my friend who organizes the trips. So I raise my figurative glass of champagne and share some of my favorite winter camping adventures:
- The gang turf war with the racoon family. My friend took some great photos of them up in a tree - but boy did they get their revenge once we went to bed...
- My very first time driving in snow. In a blizzard. In the desert.
- Baking a pineapple upside-down cake in a cast-iron dutch oven, on charcoal, when ambient is below freezing. Actually, cooking anything at ambient <32F is an adventure in and of itself.
- That time I found out that my tent does not leak!
- You know those temperature ratings on sleeping bags? THEY LIE.
If you've been following Moon River, River's shower scene in chapter 2 is based on an actual shower I had last New Years in the Camground in the Arctic Pocket Universe. [Seriously, everywhere else we went during the day was warm. The Campground microclimate was FREEZING]. It's that feeling when you want a shower, need a shower, but it's so cold that the idea of getting into the shower is absurd. But once the hot water took the chill off of the FREEZING TILE, I was indeed a happy camper.
I would have been happier, of course, if Eleven in a tux and tails had stepped into my shower at the time, but we can't have everything, can we? ;)
My next camping trip is a two-week long extravaganza in Yellowstone in June! Can't wait.
Happy New Year everyone!